06 September 2010

Dreaming of Heaven

Do you ever feel as if you don't belong here? On earth, that is? Do you ever get restless and see what could be, but isn't?  I do. More and more these days I am realizing that this planet really isn't my home. There is so much suffering all around us. As a nurse, I often think about the fact that before the fall, there was no death, disease, or abuse. And in heaven there will be none of these things either. In short, I will be out of a job! :-)
As followers of Jesus, we are certainly not immune to suffering. Sometimes this world seems so dark and hopeless and I get hungry for what is ahead. But He is always living in me, ready to fill me up full of  his light and living water. And it is not just a little bit, but enough to share with everyone around me. That is why I am here right now.
I was talking to one of my friends today, telling her about a dream that I have again and again.
In fact, I had it today while I was sleeping after night shift.
It is always a bit different, but it includes greeting and hugging many people that I love and always, being surrounded by happy, laughing children from Africa.
What she said made me stop and smile, "Maybe you are dreaming of heaven."
Now, I do not really think that is what my dream is portraying. But, I do think that what I long for comes out in dreams. I long to be together with all the people I love. In a place of joy, happiness, and light. And when I think about it, what I am really longing for is heaven.
Do you dream of heaven?

No comments: