19 September 2010

Love Much.

It should be so simple. But it is not. A  lifetime of deciphering.
A forever of learning. Nothing so powerful. Little more difficult.

It is easy to love when you are loved in return.
I spent last week in wonderful, refreshing fellowship with some of the sisters
that God so lovingly placed in my life.

It is hard to be away from them. To be called and traveling in so many directions.
Learning to live life without one another, even as silent support. But in the same breath, it is wonderful.
We had our four years of growing and of learning how to live in communty. They changed me.

And now we are nurses, graduate students, teachers, athetic trainers, and missionaries.
Learning to love others in the place we are at. And in the places we are going.

For me, it is the homeless, the addicts, the combative patients that I encounter each day on the job. 
Asking myself, how do I love this person much?
When they are a danger to themselves and others, when they have no desire to change, when they curse and scorn me at every turn...
What has happened in their lives to leave them with such a gaping hole?
Festering despair.
Nothing they have tried can fill them up or heal them.
Is it to cover the pain of rejection, of abuse, of simple physical hunger, of dreams broken, lost, and forgotten?

At times, it is overwhelming. They need more than the bandaid I can give them.
But I pray that small gesture will lead them to Who can really heal them.
'Cause He is pretty much awesome and can do anything.

Love. Much.

"Now in the darkness, God's light shines
Christ forever, glorified.
Sing out to God with all we've got.
We live for you, our God.
I can't imagine life without you.
It's all for you."

And to put it all into perspective after a rough night at work,
This is what I wrote one year ago:

September 19,2009
 A single nurse in Zambia can have as many as 100 patients at a time. And in the words of this Zambian nurse, " It is a bit difficult." She certainly changed my definition of difficult.

1 comment:

~Andrea~ said...

God's been showing me me justy how desperately I need Him. His love. And then His love to go through me. B/c I get so overwhelmed at work, caught up in what I'm doing, I don't as often sit back and think of how to love that person as much as I wish I did. I thought about it a lot at the airport though. Seeing different types of people, the way they carried themselves, the things they weere choosing to do... comparing different people-wondering how differences in their lives could have made their differences in who they are now. Looking at a vibrant young person and then a middle aged person doing the same job, but very differently, and thinking that it's very possible the vibrant one might not be as excited about his job in another 30 years similar to the older one. Thanks for your thoughts. I enjoy them, and the way you write them. <3 much