Nothing is more enjoyable than walking out of the dark, stale hospital air into a crisp Autumn morning, the sun pouring over the crimson, golden, russet shades, falling to crunch under my feet and catch in my hair.
A background of brilliant blue sky.
I breathe in deeply, trying to fill my lungs with every bit of the life that stirs all around me.
I pass those walking toward the place I have come, still trying to rub sleep from their eyes,
nursing a tall, strong, glorious cup of black coffee.
What must it feel like to be starting the day?
I am only now ending mine.
We ride the elevator opposite directions.
My car passes yours at the entrance of the cold, cement garage.
Good bye.
Rolling down the windows to breathe in that gorgeous air.
Music to keep from nodding off.
A bagel stop.
Cute couples meeting for morning coffee. Bibles are open.
Blonde,curly headed babies wrap their chubby fingers around their momma's wrist.
Snappily dressed executives swing their keys around their fingers.
I am in my crumpled scrubs.
Looking at the world through dark-circled sleep craving eyes.
Oh, how I wish I could be a part of this.
Those living the day-time life.
And I, on my way to find a soft place to lay my head. A warm blanket to crawl under.
Morning bird songs to lull me to sleep. To wake again and return to work.
And the leaves fall. And three days later, I notice the world has changed again.
And I am awake at 0730.
But only for one day,
I am among the sun dwellers.
For it comes time once more...
Walk to the looming building.
Back up the elevators.
A deep breath
I dive back in.
And the leaves fall...
1 comment:
I love your poetic artsy side, and kind of want you to write a poetry book or something. This is beautiful, and real and true and I feel your pain. Love!
Post a Comment