04 December 2009

What can I say?

One of my friends informed me that I should update my blog and let everyone know that I made it home safely. So, here it goes! :-)
I have been back in the states for little over a week now and have been trying to process what I should share with you here. I have not experienced the kind of culture shock that turns the world upside down on its head, but I have been extremely cold and slightly overwhelmed.
"How was Africa?" That question has been asked of me so many times. My response depends on the person asking it, but it goes something like, "It was an amazing experience. I learned so much."
What can I say to sum up three months of a life that is so different from the one I led here? Nothing would bring it fully into focus for those I left here, but I love it when people take the time to ask questions and listen to my rambling. God has used these opportunities!

In no particular order, here is what fills my mind.

I remember:
The babies that I held and prayed over. The sunsets, dirty feet, heat, and rainstorms. The children we lost in the hospitals. The miracle of birth. The smell of smoke that always hung in the air. Contentment in having nothing but God. The ways God cemented His calling on my life over and over again. Fatalism. Experiencing community as it was meant to be. The lack of resources and my desperation and frustration. Joy in heartache. Walking dusty paths with the sun beating down on my head. Greeting each person as we left church. Smiles that light up an entire face. The influx of termites. Compassion and compassion fatigue. Bargaining in the markets. Bush fires. Worshipping with the Zambian people. Prayers. Voices raised in harmony. God's provision. Holding and playing with kids that stole my heart. The faces of HIV/AIDS. Volleyball. Realizing that there are no orphans in the Kingdom of God! The faith of the Zambian people and their true dependence on God. Nshima and cabbage. Total surrender. Knowing that God is in control and good even in the midst of suffering. Thankfulness. Exhaustion. Zambians serving Zambians. Love in action.

A few days beflore leaving Zambia, God covered me in overwhelming peace. Although I left Africa, it is only for a time. God has even bigger plans in store for the future. Pretty exciting stuff. :-)

No comments: