25 September 2009

All things work together for good...


There was not a single day this week that went according to our plans.

Each night we go to sleep with an idea of what the next day holds, but here, you just never know what the sunrise will bring. God has been so faithful through it all. He has provided me with unexpected opportunities to share His love with someone here in Zambia each time the day falls apart at the seams.

Yesterday, we went to a school on the other side of Choma called Arise. It is a school for vulnerable children, those without parents, and street children. Approx. 370 kids in grades 1-7 attend the school. They hold class under the trees in the dry season and in the rainy season, all of the classes have to squeeze beneath a small tin roof. A pastor's wife, Lillian, runs the school and is an amazing woman of God with an incredible story and call of God on her life! There are 6 other volunteer teachers. Each teacher takes one grade and teaches them all of the subjects. The teachers are the only ones who have textbooks. They write it out on the chalkboards so the kids can see the words and copy them down onto their tablets or whatever paper they have. It is amazing really. They follow the government (public school curriculum). I played with many of the children and met an awesome 10yr old girl named Miriam. :-)


Today we made an impromptu visit to the village that is out our back gate and a short jaunt across the wild grassland. As we approached, the children ( about 150 of them) began running toward us with delighted voices. I love the way we can just walk out our back door and be surrounded by these precious, beautiful children. It is hard to walk out there and know that all you have to give is love when so many of them are sick, most do not have shoes, and there are many, many who are without parents. I love holding them in my arms, playing ring around the rosie, twirling them in a circle, learning their names, letting the older kids show me how they can write...the list goes on and on. I hope to build relationships with many in the village as time goes on.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Hello my dear!! I just wanted to say that I'm reading your blog (until today I didn't know that you had one! LOL!) and praying for you every day! In fact, reading about your run-in with the snake made me think...the other day, and I don't even know what day or time it was, the Lord suddenly laid you so heavily on my heart that I immediately started to pray that He would keep you under His protection. It was totally out of the blue and was a very powerful reminder from Him. I wonder if that was at the same time that you fell next to the snake?? Wow. Keep safe. We love you! Have a wonderful day and keep those updates coming! :)