Church in Zambia is so different from home, but I love it! We gather in a small building and sit on pews made of 2x4's, rough benches, and anywhere we can find a seat. It can get very hot on a calm day, but yesterday there was a cool breeze blowing in through the windows making it very comfortable. The windows have bars on them like many homes in Choma and when they are closed they make the shape of hearts.
The children all gather on the left side of the church and the women sit together with their babies wrapped up all cozy in chitenges. Worship is so lively and the harmony is so perfect. No one is afraid to sing at the top of their lungs, clap, raise their hands, or dance! It is a beautiful thing.
Corporate prayer is a time that begins with the singing of a hymn in Tonga and then the people just gradually fall into prayer until the entire building is reverberating with voices being raised to God. There is no embarrassment, no self-consideration, and certainly no hesitation found as they stand, sit, and kneel in prayer. I have never seen anything so powerful. The first Sunday, the tears fell freely as I realized where I was and that I was able to see what God is doing here.
These people are dependent on God showing up. They are desperate for Him to show up. They need Him to show up. Isn't it awesome that we serve a living God that works miracles in our lives? My perception of faith has been shattered and strengthened. I thought getting on a plane and flying across the ocean took faith, but that is so small compared to praying continually and having no doubt that God will provide food for your family that has not eaten in two days.
After the service, we formed a line outside of the church and greeted one another. I knelt down in the dirt to talk to a little boy and before I knew it I was surrounded on all sides by beautiful little faces.
Later in the evening, we had a bonfire at Beth and Dave Watters house and many of the children from the Mochipapa trust came and sang , played, and ate marshmallows with us! It was the first time any of them had had a toasted marshmallow and it was hilarious and amazing to watch their faces as they tried to chew them. By the end of the night, the kids were eating them and saying, "Chubby Bunny". :-)
Love you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment