15 September 2009

Zambia :-)

I am laying on my bed under my mosquito net taking just a few moments for peace, solitude, and respite from the Zambian sun. I just came inside from studying on the patio after a wonderful meal of Nshima and beef. I wish I could capture for you some of the sights, sounds, and smells of this place.

A few men are working on a building across the compound and the birds are ferocious sounding up in the trees. Two more men are repairing a vehicle and the kitchen is full of lively, rapid Tonga. A large walking stick was found climbing up a bed this morning and the dust is blowing around outside of the compound wall. The ever-present smoke from the cooking fires of near-by villages is visible over the wall and the scent of fire is always in the air.

It is a beautiful place. It is a place of contradictions.
The landscape is so dry, but there are trees laden with purple blooms.
The people are surrounded with continuous struggles and heartaches, but they love God with more joy and passion than I have ever seen.

This place, Africa, is like they say. Once you are here, you cannot leave the way you came.

No comments: